Thursday, March 28, 2013

Solitary Companionship


https://mail-attachment.googleusercontent.com/attachment/u/0/?ui=2&ik=ee82fe5492&view=att&th=13db1f687d2e1137&attid=0.1&disp=inline&safe=1&zw&saduie=AG9B_P9ldzULa-KbvKcETMs7JAP9&sadet=1364492086294&sads=oeGhwY-edrNQxmpUxa1yRICA7_0

I rode the train from New York City to Syracuse this past Saturday (March 23). The train was sold out and I sat next to a homeless drunk man. At first the malodorous air about him bothered me and glancing quickly at him I noticed a gash on the bridge of his nose between his eyes. He was an Asian man (I heard him mutter something in another language during his sleep) who was in his late 40s or early 50s.

In his back pack he had about 6-8 cans of beer (Pabst, of all things). He opened can and spilled it, somehow missing me. He nervously apologized then I went back to looking out the window and he went back to sleep.

Soon after I got used to his proximity and air and I was just wondering about his journey. I looked at his suitcase and I thought, "Is everything he owns in that suitcase? Where is going? Does he have family there or is just trying to stay one step ahead of the Grim Reaper? What is he leaving behind? Does he have any hope? I felt sorry for him and when I glanced out at island on the Hudson River I saw a dilapidated structure that at one time must have been a beautiful building. Its solitude and abandonment made me think of my erstwhile traveling. I think Raymond Carver could have written a powerful story, that powerfully penetrates the human soul, about this man.

We will never meet again. That is the nature of travel, of course. But I couldn't help wondering what he was looking for. Suddenly, in my head, I heard the song "Maria" from "West Side Story." I don't know why. Perhaps it was the lyrical message of the song that got me thinking...."I just met a girl named Maria/And suddenly that name will never be the same to me/Maria!"

Who was this man's "Maria"? Will he ever find someone or something that can inspire the same passion that the heroine from the classic play/film sparked in her lover? Or will he be condemned to live the life of Jean-Paul Sartre's character in "Nausea"? Who knows? We all have a Maria in our life. I am still looking for mine. I hope that gentleman I sat next to on the train will find his. Life is so much more pleasant when you have a "Maria" in it.

If you feel like listening to "Maria" here is a clip for you:




No comments:

Post a Comment