Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Adele-otry Run Amok

The half-life of a pop star these days seems to diminish faster than a Kardashian sister's modesty. While not a big fan of Adele, I enjoyed some of her songs, but now I think I have reached my saturation point. I just can't stomach listening to her anymore.

The breaking point for me was when the James Bond film "Skyfall"  won the Oscar for Best Song, beating out a much better song from "Chasing Ice." The public's chanteuse scrambled up with the writers and producers of the song to accept the award. This was fine, but I was disappointed that "Before My Time" (featuring the vocals of Scarlett Johansson and arrangements by the inimitable J. Ralph) didn't win. Her contrived and overwrought gesticulating during her performance of "Skyfall"  was annoying, but then again so was much of the Oscar "entertainment."

The clip they showed from "Chasing Ice" caught my attention and the New Age, ephemeral tone of the music really attracted me. When I listened to the "Chasing Ice" soundtrack on Spotify, I found that I liked every track. Below is a sample for you to listen to.


Incidentally, when I walked out onto the street, Ben Curtis came up to me and said, "Dude, you got Adele!" 

No comments:

Post a Comment