Friday, March 1, 2013

Remembering Van Cliburn

I was deeply saddened by the death of the pianist and cultural ambassador for the United States, Van Cliburn this past Wednesday, February 27th. He was 78 years ago.

I remember first hearing a recording of his performance of Tchaikovsky's Piano Concerto No. 1 years ago and how enthralled I was it. It remains one of my favorite performances and I wonder if we will ever have another pianist of his caliber.

In addition to his prodigious virtuosity, he became a wonderful cultural ambassador for the United States to the Soviet Union in the 1950s and 1960s. With the popularity of the Internet, I don't think cultural ambassadorships have the clout or effectiveness they once did. This is all the more reason to truly appreciate what this artist did. I will miss him.

Here is a performance from Moscow in 1962. Van Cliburn is performing with Kirill Kondrashin.

No comments:

Post a Comment