Monday, April 30, 2012

Suicide Blonde

In November it will be 15 years since the death of Michael Hutchence, the charismatic lead singer of INXS who took his life on the 22nd of that month in 1997. I remember first hearing of INXS in 1986 with the release of their big hit "What You Need." I liked it but I didn't give the song or the band much thought after that. Not that they needed me to claim their success...they had a string of hits into the 1990s and looking back now, I appreciate them for what they were...an effervescent band that epitomized being cool. The bands that are popular today simply don't have the panache, self-assuredness or kick-ass technicality that these rockers from Australia had. I miss that.

Tonight as I was driving up from Nashville I heard "Suicide Blonde" on the radio. What a great song! I love the harmonica on it. And Michael Hutchence was being the typical energetic, rock and roll lead singer mesmerizing listeners with his passion and unequivocal, carefree, no BS attitude that very few singers display these days.

Here's to you, Michael!

Enjoy "Suicide Blonde!" If you don't feel like moving, just a little after you hear this song...I would have to ask if you have a pulse!


No comments:

Post a Comment