Sunday, February 7, 2010

Karaoke Rage

We have all heard of road rage or helicopter parents which are temporary afflictions that convert normal people into raving lunatics. Now, apparently, there is a new manifestation: Karaoke Rage. According to the New York Times, a number of people have been murdered in the Philippines after singing (mangling?) the Frank Sinatra classic "My Way." Coincidence? Or perhaps there is something morbid about the character of karaoke fans. Not being a devotee of this particular form of entertainment (although after trying it once, I was told to never do it again), I cannot grasp the dynamics behind this phenomenon but it gives new meaning to 'musical assault.' For me, at least, Avril Lavigne can no longer claim this term exclusively for herself(just listen to her version of "Knockin' on Heaven's Door" and you will know what I mean).

It seems that some people who sing a certain song on karaoke 'claim' it for themselves and if they hear someone else sing a poor version of it, they become riled up and aggressive. I know that I am safe since I do not frequent karaoke bars, but if you and some friends are thinking of showing off your musical skills at a karaoke bar, be careful.

To read more about the 'My Way' killings and similar karaoke assaults visit this link:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/07/world/asia/07karaoke.html?th&emc=th

No comments:

Post a Comment