Saturday, February 6, 2010

I miss you, James Joyce

A couple of years ago I read James Joyce's classic "Ulysses" and I have often thought of it. It seems these days there are very few books that can leave that type of impression or have people think in a way that they usually do not. For many people works from the 'Lit Light' genre fit the bill of 'reading.' In a sense, they are right for they serve a purpose, but how many of them force the reader to apply their intellect in an assiduous manner, often forcing him or her to refer to other books he/she may have read? Very few do that. Here are some of my favorite passages from "Ulysses" (with my note at the end):

EDWARD THE SEVENTH

(Levitates over heaps of slain in the garb and with the halo of Joking Jesus, a white jujube in his phosphorescent face.)

My methods are new and are causing surprise.
To make the blind see I throw dust in their eyes.
(p. 577)

“It rains dragon’s teeth.” (p. 585)

“Bread, the staff of life, earn your bread. O tell me where is fancy bread? At Rourke’s the baker’s it is said.” (p. 600)

This is a line from Shakespeare.
-Merchant of Venice. “O tell me where is fancy bread, or in the heart or in the head?”

No comments:

Post a Comment