Saturday, August 2, 2014

Misty Makes a Statement

On my Facebook feed today I noticed an advertisement for Under Armour that has been attracting a lot of media and pop cultural attention. The ad features a ballet dancer named Misty Copeland performing some incredible moves. Copeland is a dancer with the American Ballet Theater in New York City and her beauty, grace and power have rightly attracted the attention of many people.

In 2012 I saw a performance by the American Ballet Theater(In the Upper Room), although I was unaware of Ms Copeland at the time. It was astounding and although I never disrespected ballet, I gained a new appreciation for it.

Perhaps this is the sensation that Under Armour is going for; inviting a new audience to experience ballet beyond the performances displayed on the stage, in public, under the discerning eyes of the public and the spotlights. There is beauty in it even when it is just a solo "practice" session.

Earlier in July I saw the incredible Viengsay Valdés perform Swan Lake (I am happy to say that my students became instant fans) and seeing Misty Copeland perform gave me the same sensation: the sense of power, pride, autonomy and strength distilled through fluid movement....simply amazing.

Sometimes a person comes along who makes you use up all your adjectives to describe them. This is what Misty Copeland has done. I know now I, and many others, are going to have to improve our vocabulary.

                          Misty Copeland rocks. But you already knew that.


No comments:

Post a Comment