Friday, July 17, 2015

For Italians Only in Cuba



The other day I stopped by the Hotel Victoria to say hello to some old friends of mine. I was stunned to learn that after August 10, the hotel would no longer be accommodating non-Italian tourists. I was told that the Italian travel agency Alpitur bought the hotel and is going to use it as a place of accommodations only for Italians.  

I was disgusted by the news on a couple of fronts. First, the temerity of this agency to do this. They buy their own real estate and exclude everyone from it. This reminds me of pre-Revolution Cuba when the US engaged in this type of arrogant behavior. Second, I had trouble digesting this notion, but the reasons behind the purchase were so antithetical to the tenets of the Revolution, i.e., discrimination. For me, this is one of the uglier aspects of capitalism and I just could not believe that Cuba would allow a foreign entity to do this. But it has and it has made me wonder what is next on the horizon. 

With normalized relations between Cuba and the US there will be a significant increase in tourism (since January 2015 Cuba has witnessed a 36% increase in the number of tourists who visit Cuba). Will US-based or other foreign entities try to emulate with Alpitur has done? I hope not.

                                       

No comments:

Post a Comment