Saturday, April 13, 2013

Meet Kent Carter

Last week I was driving the car listening to the radio when an incredible song came on. My Shazam app on my iPhone couldn't identify it so I had to wait until the song ended to hear the broadcaster name it. It was Suite Pour Orchestre À Cordes Et 2 Soloistes En 4 Mouvements, by the American jazz bassist Kent Carter. All I could think was "Wow!!!" What a piece of musical genius. Jazz music for string instruments. It sounds so simple, but the melody tugged at my imagination, evincing an era from long ago. Amazing tune. The record, It Will Come, was produced in 1979 in France and is not available on Amazon.com or Spotify. It is a musical relic from a bygone era, but it has the pizazz and creativity that I find so enjoyable in great pieces of music.

See if you can track this album down. In the meantime here is a YouTube clip of another great song from this jazz virtuoso. In it he is performing with the Spontaneous Music Ensemble. Enjoy!



                         

No comments:

Post a Comment