Friday, January 4, 2013

Another Side of Dr. Seuss

One of the reasons I enjoy going to the library to browse books is that I never know what I will find. The other day I came across a book whose title made me do a double take. It read "Dr. Seuss Goes to War" and features cartoons by the world-renowned author pushing for war with Germany (World War II). Given his reputation for creating some of the most famous figures in children's literature, it is hard to reconcile him with images of Hitler. While reading this book I learned, interestingly enough, that Theodor Seuss Geisel started going by the name Seuss after a run with college officials over bootleg liquor.

This book by Richard Minear features editorial cartoons that Dr. Seuss produced during World War II. They are poignant and powerful and make it very clear what the author felt about isolationism and labor dissent at the time. It is worth reading, if nothing else to see another side of this almost mythical man.

No comments:

Post a Comment