Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Rest in Peace, Pascual Perez

I was saddened to learn of the death of Pascual Perez, the erratic, but colorful pitcher who experienced success and infamy in the 1980s and early 1990s. This lanky right-hander from the Dominican Republic had a unique personality that I was able to witness firsthand when I went to see the Yankees play the Indians in Cleveland in 1989. He was pitching for the Yankees then and although I can't remember the score of that game, there were two moments that I will never forget: with a runner on first base, Pascual, before going into his motion, peered through his legs and pretended to throw to first base--a startled Don Mattingly just raised his arms up in exasperation; the second moment later in the game was when he threw a 30 mile-per-hour changeup to home plate. The batter didn't swing, but it was still funny.

Pascual was never a great pitcher, but he had a great personality that endeared him to many fans, me included. In the Fydrichian tradition of engrossing fans and opponents with bizarre on-field behavior, Pascual makes it easy for me to root for him and baseball. I am not sure if any other sport has produced so many wonderful characters.

Rest in Peace, Pascual. You will be missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment